Every time I go to a restaurant, I feel like I see a variation of this recipie. Whoever discovered that pretzels used in place of bread crumbs on baked chicken is a genius in my opinion. Healthier than deep fried, tastier than the old classic oven-fried chicken, this recipe is quick, easy, and delicious. Serve it with your favorite garlic mashed potatoes and green beans and it is sure to become an instant classic that will make everyone you feed come back for more.
When I made this recipe, I used chunks of crushed pretzels. It tasted great that way, but it was difficult to bread. So, though it looks like you are making a lot of pretzel dust, crush those babies up well. It will make the coating process much simpler.
Pretzel Crusted V.O. Mustard Chicken
4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup McCutcheon’s Vidalia Onion Mustard
2 cups crushes sour-dough pretzels or hard pretzels
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- In a food processor, pulse the pretzels until the are coarse. Or, if you are like me, beat them to a pulp with a big spoon, against a hard surface, or with your fists. Then, stir the pepper into the pretzel crumbs. Transfer the crumbs into a wide shallow bowl.
- Dust the chicken breasts with flour.
- Then, slater the chicken breasts in the mustard, and then coat evenly in the pretzel crumbs.
- Transfer the prepared chicken breasts to a baking sheet that is greased with olive oil.
- Bake the chicken in the top third of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve immediatly either sliced or as whole breasts.