It’s late summer and after a long hot days work I do not want to come home and slave over a hot stove. So lately I have been making quick versions of all the recipes I love so much. But just because it’s a quick fix, doesn’t mean i should have to sacrifice the flavor of the the food. Right?
This chili is so easy and delicious you almost forget that it only takes about 10 minutes of prep to make. The secret is in salsa. Instead of chopping, dicing, flavoring for what feels like hours for traditional chili all the flavor you need comes packed into one jar of salsa. Our salsa has a chunky tomato base, with green peppers, onions; and for a kick, some chipotle peppers. It adds a bit of spice and heat to the chili that is a pleasant surprise.
- 1 jar McCutcheon’s Mild Salsa, or hot if your are more adventurous than me
- 2 lbs of lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups canned tomato sauce
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 tablespoons chili seasoning mix
- 1 (15oz) Can of Kidney Beans
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Brown the ground beef and the onions until the onions are soft. Drain the grease if necessary
- Add he salsa, tomato sauce, garlic salt, pepper, cayenne, chili seasoning mix and beans. Give it a good stir.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and allow to cook for at least an hour. As a rule of thumb, the longer you let the chili stew the better it tastes. I let mine simmer for about 2 hours before digging in
- Serve with your favorite chili toppings.
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- Cheddar CHeese
- Scallions and Cilantro
- Corn Bread
- Chopped red onions and green bell peppers